FC5, Another unhappy camper

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun May 14 16:49:57 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 11:09, Jeff Vian wrote:

> > I have submitted enough bug reports to know that one that deals with
> > non-FOSS software (ATI and nVidia drivers) will not elicit any useful
> > response from Fedora.  This is the crux of my rant.  Fedora simply has
> > a policy that for non FOSS software, move on.  I get the message.  I'm
>
> Of course.
> They did not write the software that caused the problem and they have no
> possibilw way (or responsibility) to fix it.

In most cases these problems are in fact changes on the linux
side that break previously defined interfaces.

>  You need to contact those
> who wrote what broke your system and who have a chance to be able to fix
> your problem.

I'm surprised that any of them even try to keep up with this
wild ride.

> If I were running Windows I certainly would not expect Microsoft to fix
> a video driver I installed when I bought my new video card.  The same
> applies here.

If windows changed their device driver interface on every
update they wouldn't have any vendor support either - and
probably no customers.

> I agree wholeheartedly with that.  If the manufacturers will make it
> possible for users to get their Linux drivers in a better way it will
> open up their market even more.

Or if linux provided stable interfaces.

--
  Les Mikesell