Finally getting rid of Windows (almost)

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon May 15 17:12:01 UTC 2006

James Pifer wrote:
>> You added the partition as free space to your LVM, you must
>> create new logical volumes or extend existing ones to use that
>> space.
>
> okay, lvextend is what I need to run, right? I can't figure out the
> syntax.
>
> My logical volume is at:
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
>
> fdisk shows:
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1   *           1        3199    25695936   8e  Linux LVM
> /dev/hda2            3200        3212      104422+  83  Linux
> /dev/hda3            3213        9729    52347802+  8e  Linux LVM
>
> AND
>
> # vgdisplay
>   --- Volume group ---
>   VG Name               VolGroup00
>   System ID
>   Format                lvm2
>   Metadata Areas        2
>   Metadata Sequence No  4
>   VG Access             read/write
>   VG Status             resizable
>   MAX LV                0
>   Cur LV                2
>   Open LV               2
>   Max PV                0
>   Cur PV                2
>   Act PV                2
>   VG Size               74.41 GB
>   PE Size               32.00 MB
>   Total PE              2381
>   Alloc PE / Size       1596 / 49.88 GB
>   Free  PE / Size       785 / 24.53 GB
>   VG UUID               vBWK8O-IFpc-J8sm-r1Vf-K1vh-sSKN-qZ4OQt
>
> What would the correct syntax be for lvextend? Everything I have tried
> based on the man page example and google examples has not worked.

To extend VolGroup00/LogVol00 by 10G, you would do:

# lvextend --size +10G /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

You would also need to extend the filesystem on that volume once the
underlying volume is bigger. You may be able to do this using ext2online:

# ext2online /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

If ext2online tells you it can't do it, you'll need to use resize2fs
after booting from a rescue CD since you seem to have just one big
filesystem for the whole system and you can't unmount the root filesystem.

Paul.