Delay when logginng in to FC5 via ssh

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon May 15 22:41:08 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 17:15, Don Russell wrote:

> So, I conclude that ssh is trying to determine the host name of the
> machine connecting to it, based on the connecting machine's IP address.

[...]

> The problem is, it is not practical to code all my private addresses in
> /etc/hosts. The network clients use dhcp so of course their addresses
> may change.

The reverse lookup doesn't really have to match the host's
own idea of it's hostname - it just has to return something
that you can log.  One approach is to run your own nameserver
that is primary for your private ranges (no sense in bothering
the root servers for them...).  Then if you don't want to
set up the DHCP  server to give out IP addresses tied to
MAC addresses you can you use names like dchp-ip-number for
the names you return.

--
 Les Mikesell
  lesmikesell at gmail.com