Good Bye FC5

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue May 16 12:25:15 UTC 2006

Russell Golden wrote:
> Brian Mury wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 20:55 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>>

>>>    Here is what happened. I got gmfsk to compile and load and it
>>> came up working just fine except for the same dam error message whan
>>> you try to go to transmit:
>>>
>>> sound_open_for _write: opensnd: /dev/dsp Device or resource busy.
>>>
>>> I was never able to clear this error message so of course it doesn't
>>> work.
>>>

>> This is not a gmfsk problem. This simply means that some other program
>> has the soundcard locked, and gmfsk is unable to access it. You need to
>> find out what program is using the soundcard. For example, I have to
>> shut down Skype before I can run gmfsk.
>>

> Wait a sec. I'm not as into hardware/OS interaction as much as I'd
> like to be, but are you saying that Linux can't duplex sound? Or am I
> interpreting this wrong? On Winblows (yes, sadly, I use it), multiple
> programs can use my laptop's sound card at once, but on Shrike I can't
> listen to music and have sounds for Gaim or anything else at the same
> time. Weirdly enough, that includes terminal console beeps. Is this
> just my way outdated Red Hat Linux 9, or is this Linux in general?
    What I found on FC4 is that the sound mixer is the culprit. It comes
out of the box in simplex mode. You can play with the mixer and break
tiny chains and finally it works in duplex made.

    The FC5 wrinkle is that it sends up a warning when it is not set up
in duplex. I might be able to get FC5 working with what I know now....

Karl