Sound Card Problem

I have a compaq Armada 7800 laptop with a built in ESS 1879 sound card that I can't seem to get detected.  I flash the bios, re-installed, and run system-config-sound card.

The compaq diagnostics successfully tests the sound card and it was working under Windows NT and 2000.

Does any know know how to fix this?

Thanks,

Roger

--- Begin Message --- man smartd