Yum Install

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri May 19 13:01:49 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 02:00, Paul Howarth wrote:

> > -U always works and saves the time of thinking about whether
> > it's the first install or not.  I think the kernel is the
> > only thing that lets you keep multiple copies anyway.
>
> It isn't the *only* thing (the qt4 package going through the Extras
> review process at the moment springs to mind as an example I came across
> yesterday) but packages have to be carefully designed to be
> parallel-installable by using version/release numbers in all pathnames
> to avoid pathname conflicts. For most packages containing binaries, this
> isn't even possible. The kernel (and associated modules) are certainly
> the only things commonly parallel-installed.

Personally, I think it would have been better if  the installer
had been designed for parallel installation as the general case
to handle both multiple concurrent versions of the same package
and alternate packages containing the same-named binary (like
java, sendmail, etc. or x86 and x86_64 versions) since those
are fairly obvious needs and the 'replacement' case then just
needs to erase the old one.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com