cups broadcasting through a gateway

Daniel Hedlund daniel at digitree.org
Sun May 21 20:20:57 UTC 2006

Gregory,
> Thanks for your suggestion.  I tried using both suggestions but neither
> of them worked, and neither of them caused any problems.  I can monitor
> eth0 and eth1 on the server in question and can easily see that eth1
> broadcasts the printer (lpt1) that is set up on that server, but there
> is no broadcasting the information about the remote printers that are
> coming in on eth0
I'm not sure of your exact network set-up (each gateway directly
connected to each other or spread across the Internet), but the
following URLs seem to show that it's supposed to be a rather simple set-up:
http://www.easysw.com/printpro/howto.php?19#19
http://www.easysw.com/printpro/howto.php?20#20

Unfortunately, it does not seem to be that way for you.  You may have
been right initially with the "BrowseRelay RemoteA 10.0.0.255" type
lines if your set-up is like the second URL above.  Have a look and
verify which configuration you're supposed to be using.

Just need to also make sure that you're restarting the cups daemon after
making changes to the configuration.  Other things to try include:
- using IP addresses instead of hostnames as the hostnames could be
resolving to internal IP addresses?
- comment out the relaying and polling lines in the config, restart cups
and ensure that the remote printers disappear, then add the lines back
in one at a time to ensure desired results are being achieved?
- trying your CUPS configurations with 'ServerName' set to your IP address?
- trying something like "BrowseRelay 127.0.0.1 @IF(eth1)"?

Cheers,

Daniel Hedlund
daniel at digitree.org