ntpq no longer working -

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon May 22 11:17:59 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 04:17 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> server
> clock2.redhat.com
> server
> ntp-1.cns.vt.edu
> server
> ntp-2.cns.vt.edu
> server
> ntp-3.cns.vt.edu
> server ntp-4.cns.vt.edu

Cut and paste error?  They should all look more like:

server clock2.redhat.com
server ntp-1.cns.vt.edu
server ntp-2.cns.vt.edu
server ntp-3.cns.vt.edu
server ntp-4.cns.vt.edu

Those domains all resolve, here.  But I don't think you're doing
yourself any favours by referring to a bunch of NTP servers at the same
location.  You want a collection of different servers, else you might
believe a set of servers to be true, that believe themselves to all be
true, when they're not (they might all be referencing themselves).

I picked a collection that come from different locations:

server 0.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 1.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 2.pool.ntp.org iburst

Plus a couple of more local ones, to me (au.pool.ntp.org and my ISP's).

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.