ntpq no longer working -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Mon May 22 11:32:55 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 04:17 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> server
>> clock2.redhat.com
>> server
>> ntp-1.cns.vt.edu
>> server
>> ntp-2.cns.vt.edu
>> server
>> ntp-3.cns.vt.edu
>> server ntp-4.cns.vt.edu
>>

> Cut and paste error?  They should all look more like:
>
> server clock2.redhat.com
> server ntp-1.cns.vt.edu
> server ntp-2.cns.vt.edu
> server ntp-3.cns.vt.edu
> server ntp-4.cns.vt.edu

Yes, that is exactly what it looks like before Mozilla Compose mutilated
them
in producing "plain text."
> Those domains all resolve, here.  But I don't think you're doing
> yourself any favours by referring to a bunch of NTP servers at the same
> location.  You want a collection of different servers, else you might
> believe a set of servers to be true, that believe themselves to all be
> true, when they're not (they might all be referencing themselves).

Originally I had three different sources within a few hundred miles in
hope of minimizing delays, some went away over time and the two left always
worked well enough for my purposes.  Your suggestion is obviously valid.
But I still can't see what's happening, since ntpq doesn't work even when I
reduce the list to just the Redhat server.
> I picked a collection that come from different locations:
>
> server 0.pool.ntp.org iburst
> server 1.pool.ntp.org iburst
> server 2.pool.ntp.org iburst
>
> Plus a couple of more local ones, to me (au.pool.ntp.org and my ISP's)
I can do something similar but first need to fix my problem.

Bob