Re: ntpq no longer working -

Tim wrote:
On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 04:17 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
server clock2.redhat.com server ntp-1.cns.vt.edu server ntp-2.cns.vt.edu server ntp-3.cns.vt.edu server ntp-4.cns.vt.edu

Cut and paste error?  They should all look more like:

server clock2.redhat.com server ntp-1.cns.vt.edu server ntp-2.cns.vt.edu server ntp-3.cns.vt.edu server ntp-4.cns.vt.edu
Yes, that is exactly what it looks like before Mozilla Compose mutilated them
in producing "plain text."
Those domains all resolve, here.  But I don't think you're doing
yourself any favours by referring to a bunch of NTP servers at the same
location.  You want a collection of different servers, else you might
believe a set of servers to be true, that believe themselves to all be
true, when they're not (they might all be referencing themselves).
Originally I had three different sources within a few hundred miles in
hope of minimizing delays, some went away over time and the two left always
worked well enough for my purposes. Your suggestion is obviously valid. But I still can't see what's happening, since ntpq doesn't work even when I
reduce the list to just the Redhat server.
I picked a collection that come from different locations:

server 0.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 1.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 2.pool.ntp.org iburst

Plus a couple of more local ones, to me (au.pool.ntp.org and my ISP's)
I can do something similar but first need to fix my problem.

Bob