ntpq no longer working -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Mon May 22 19:10:57 UTC 2006

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> Tim wrote:

>>> Try:
>>>
>>> 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
>>> 10.1.1.2        box2
>>> 10.1.1.3        box3
>>> 10.1.1.4        box4
>>> 10.1.1.1        box1
>>> 192.168.1.226   box10
>>>
>>> Do not try giving the same alias or hostname to two different IP
>>> addresses, that's bound to cause problems.  Also, there's no need to put
>>> the same name as an alias as you've got as a hostname, the aliases are
>>> *optional* *alternatives*.
>>>

>> I've changed /etc/hosts pretty much as you suggested:
>>
>> 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
>> 10.1.1.2        box2
>> 10.1.1.3        box3
>> 10.1.1.4        box4
>> 10.1.1.1        box1
>> 192.168.1.226   box1
>>
>> But that leaves me with two lines aliased to box1, I'm not sure if that
>> can cause problems?
>> Can I put the bridge address on the line above it?
>>
>> 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
>> 10.1.1.2        box2
>> 10.1.1.3        box3
>> 10.1.1.4        box4
>> 10.1.1.1        192.168.1.226    box1
>>
>> That looks as though it should accomplish the same thing?
>>

> Me thinks you need to do some homework on the format of the hosts file.
>  Please do "man hosts" and read a bit.

Ok, I read and reread the man page for hosts and hostname, etc.  They
put very little light on the subject of configuring /et/hosts beyond the
ground rules that I am already familiar with.  Removing the "box1" alias
from the first line results in a very slow reboot of the system, it
stalls on "sendmail" and "sm-client" for something on the order of a
minute on each one, adding "box1" reduces the entire boot process to
what seems like less than a minute on this old computer.

The man page says nothing about aliases, just shows a few in the example
and it also seems to be saying that the host names must begin with a
"letter."  "They must begin with an  *_alphabetic*_  character  and
end  with  an  alphanumeric  character." I suspect that's a typo and it
should read begin and end with alphanumeric character?

127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.localdomain   box1
10.1.1.2        box2
10.1.1.3        box3
10.1.1.4        box4
10.1.1.1        box1
192.168.1.226   box1

None of the above start with an "alphabetic" character but they work and
are in the default format?   Notice that I had to tack "box1" onto line
one to get the boot process to work normally.  Am I still doing
something else wrong?  I'm not trying to be cantankerous, I would simply
like to know how to do this correctly.  Is there a more definitive
explanation somewhere that I need to read?

Bob Goodwin    Zuni, Virginia   w2bod