ntpq no longer working -

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue May 23 08:02:51 UTC 2006

Paul Howarth wrote:

>> FWIW, the hosts file is used to determine the IP address of where you
>> want to go.  The file is used in looking up in very simple linear
>> fashion.  So, the last 2 lines are kind of meaningless since it is only
>> the first match that is used.
>
> Not entirely meaningless. Reverse lookups of 10.1.1.1 and 192.168.1.226
> should return "box1" with these lines present, which they wouldn't do
> otherwise.

Pretty meaningless...even if it did work...and I have serious doubts of
that.  No practical use.

>> On "box1" type "ping box1" and you will always see that the loopback
>> address of 127.0.0.1 is always used.
>
> I'd drop the "box1" from that localhost line too.

You may have noticed that the OP states that taking box1 off the
localhost line causes his boots to take a long time.  Another
configuration issue most likely....but I get the feeling that quite a
few things may be mis-configured on his system.  :-)