FC3 + Updated Kernel (2.6.12-1.1372) + Lost /etc/mtab

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue May 23 16:19:57 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 11:17 -0400, Trevor "TeC" Christian wrote:
> I just used yum to upgrade my kernel on my FC3 box and on shutdown and
> reboot, began getting errors indicating and input/output error with
> /etc/mtab.
>
> When entering the directory this file from ls looks like a link that's
> lost it's link - if you get what I'm saying... I flashes and is points
> to nothing.  The file size, owner and permission sections of the ls -l
> output all appear as question marks.

The /etc/mtab file is dynamically generated and shows what's mounted
(it's just a file, not a link to anything).  Wait for further advice
from others on this, but I think you could just delete it and let your
system create a new one.  Though considering that it's already stuffed
up, I can't see you making things any worse.  Perhaps the problem is
that the system can't modify the file as it wants to.

I read messages from the public lists.