Re: Securing SSH

On 5/23/06, Brian D. McGrew <brian visionpro com> wrote:
Good morning,

I'm looking to tighten up my ssh configuration.  I have to have SSH open
on the box at home so I can get to it from the office.  I've found
several articles on securing ssh that include deny root access and
require 'wheel' group membership for su.

Is changing the port to something non-standard a good idea?  What else
can I do; can someone point me to a good write up on it?

Thanks,

:b!

Brian D. McGrew { brian visionpro com || brian doubledimension com }

As long as you disable root login in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and have a
proper password for you user account, you should be fine. If you
really want to tighten things you could set up your firewall to drop
connections from other IPs than your office.

--
Trond Danielsen