Trouble starting postgresql

Alan M. Evans ame1 at extratech.com
Tue May 23 20:49:36 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 12:05, Andreas Roth wrote:
> i had the same problem on my FC4 system. The problem is caused by SELinux. You
> can just disable SELinux on the whole system or disable SELinux for
> postgresql.
> The proper way would be to set the correct security contexts to
> the /home/pgsql directory (using ls -Z and chcon). I haven't tried this, but
> AFAIK it should work.

Thanks. Disabling SELinux for postgresql allowed service startup.
Although I feel a bit creepy about disabling security in order to get
something working. Kind of like leaving one particular door unlocked so
the janitor can get in...

I jacked around with the file security contexts with no luck. I hold
onto the hope that this can be made to work: SELinux and postgresql
living in harmony. Does anyone have a pointer to a crash course in
configuring SELinux security contexts?