Function Keys Not Working

Has anyone been able to figure out a way to bypass the laptop function keys not working? I want to be able to send my laptop vga signal to my monitor but using fn + f8 doesn't seem to work (as well as a bunch of the other function keys).

When I look in my messages log I only have the following:

May 25 14:38:51 Whistler kernel: video bus notify