Re: Fedora Core 4 Upgrade hosed Postgresql

Lonni J Friedman wrote:
On 5/25/06, Bob Ambroso <bambroso gmail com> wrote:
that major upgrades kill Postgrsql..

My question is can I save the data I have in their now? I cannot do a
pg_dump as the DB wont start.

I do not have a current dump file to use..

So you're saying that you've never backed up or dumped the DB?

Copy your /var/lib/pgsql directory to somewhere safe.

Try installing pgsql on an FC3 computer (or whatever older version you were upgrading from). Copy the /var/lib/pgsql contents to it, and maybe (!) you'll have a functional database again. Maybe not, though.

Do you have pre-upgrade tape (or CD or whatever) backups of the /var/lib/pgsql directory? Those files would be better than the post-upgrade ones.

I too learned about Fedora's habit of clobbering pgsql data after upgrades the hard way... but I had enough backups to fix things. Backup your raw files AND do a pgdumpall every night!

- Mike