FC3->FC5 problems - no audio, fonts bad, vmplayer install

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Tue May 30 02:45:40 UTC 2006

On 5/28/06, B Wooster <bwooster47 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Took a while to get my FC3 box updated to FC5, using a bootable DVD.
>
> Now am up, and running, still have been unable to resolve quite a few
> issues, if anyone has pointers, let me know:
>
> 1) no audio.
> Using KDE kcontrol, the sound panel says audio is enabled, but when I
> click on Test, there is no sound.
>
> 2) I have installed the fonts using a RPM msttcorefonts-1.3-4.noarch.rpm.
> But xterm, firefox windows look much worse than they did on FC3. I
> guess I'll need to fiddle around with specific font settings (I
> rebooted after installing the fonts).
>
> 3) Cannot configure vmware-player. Running vmware-config.pl first
> complains that gcc 4.1.1 is installed while kernel was compiled with
> 4.1.0.
> I forced a yes, continue on that point, and then it got stuck on the
> include path - I gave it
> /usr/src/kernels/2.6.16-1.2122_FC5-i686/include/
> but it complained:
> The kernel defined by this directory of header files does not have the same
> address space size as your running kernel.
> No idea what to try next...
>
> 4) Assuming that vmware-player needs complete sources and not just
> kernel-devel, I tried:
> yumdownloader --source kernel, which fails with:
> No Match for argument kernel
> I'm running 2.6.16-1.2122_FC5 - is the src not available for that?

a) You do not need the kernel source.

b) You need to boot into the latest installed kernel and do a "sudo
yum install kernel-devel-$(uname -r)" before you run the
vmware-any-any-update101 patch for vmware-config.pl.

c) Each time you update your kernel you have to repeat step b.

> And then there were the problems I had to manually fix - kdmrc was
> pointing to the wrong X - in X11R6 instead of just /usr/bin.

This is addressed by the vmware-any-any-update101 patch