can't play avi file

Darlene Wallach freepalestin at dslextreme.com
Mon Nov 27 05:57:35 UTC 2006

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 23:31 -0800, Darlene Wallach wrote:
>

>>It is a video of a session of a course on Haskell, a functional
>>programming language, at a German University.
>>
>>I'm very disappointed I can't play the videos on my computer. I
>>was looking forward to watching the videos to learn more about
>>Haskell. Someone who has watched some of the videos recommends
>>them highly.
>

> Darlene,
>
> Have you tried all the tips at: http://www.stanton-finley.net
> If not, this guy is good. All the tips for FC5 are good for FC6. What I
> do is go through them and use cut n paste to be sure I have his
> information correctly used on my end. I use all of his audio/video
> howtos and wind up with a perfectly working setup. I highly recommend
> this to you, especially for java and flash. It's really easy to use,
> even for a noob. (which you are clearly not) so this might be the answer
> you seek.

When I installed FC 3 I used Stanton Finley's website and his tips,
he is very good, at least from my experience. I'll check the FC 3
site to check for anything I might have skipped. I'll also check
FC 5 and FC 6 though I don't know if those tips will be appropriate.

> I also have all the macromedia lib files in all three possible
> locations, as well as java
> (/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins  /usr/lib/firefox/plugins  ~/.mozilla/plugin
> <--- note: no 's'.) I use java from java.com, flash from micromedia and
> firefox from firefox, not from FC.

I'll have to see where the macromedia lib files are on my system.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm pretty sure I have flash from FC. I
use Mozilla vs Firefox (I don't like horizontal scroll that
Firefox uses on the dialogue boxes. I prefer vertical scroll that
Mozilla uses on the dialogue boxes.) I have Java from Sun not
from FC.

> I also have mediaplayerconnectivity extension installed for playback of
> audio/video added to firefox. Seems to work very well with an all-in-one
> setup that is linux aware by searching for all of your apps installed! I
> also use Ook to capture streams. It works well, too. That's about all I
> have done to get my setup to do most any file.

I don't know if Mozilla has the same mediaplayerconnectivity extension
as Firefox. I do have a plugin for MPlayer so mp3 files and videos
start mplayer in my browser. I have never heard of Ook.

> Good luck from Siler City NC. Ric
> (Nawth Carolanky to the locals)

Ric,

Thank you for your tips and feedback.