smbmount

Joe Barnett joe.barnett at mr72.com
Wed Nov 1 02:49:55 UTC 2006

Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> And now that smbmount is gone (why?) how do I mount a partition with rw
> permissions for the world? Or at least for myself. I can only mount it (as
> root), with read only permissions.

I dealt with something like this a while back.

On the local machine, mount the share as type cifs, not smbfs.  I
also found I had to add "unix extensions = no" in the [global]
section of the server's smb.conf -- it was a good thing I also
administer that server.

If I recall, those were the only two changes which needed to be made
when I started using -t cifs.

YMMV,

Joe
E-mail: joe.barnett at mr72.com