"Pocket Printserver" Dongle doesn't work with (64 bit) Fedora 6

David Liguori liguorid at albany.edu
Wed Nov 1 11:53:48 UTC 2006

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 09:21 +0000, Tim Waugh wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 22:55 -0500, David Liguori wrote:
>>
>>> Through previous editions of Fedora and Red Hat I have blundered into
>>> making this Ethernet to parallel printer box  work (on a Laserjet 6MP).
>>>     For some reason, now it doesn't.  I believed it was a Dlink product,
>>> although all it says on the box is "Model PRS-301PE.  I used
>>> system-config-printer and set up an LPR connection using the box's fixed
>>> IP address (of which I am certain) and port number 9100, of which I am
>>> reasonably sure).  When I click on the "print test page" box there is no
>>> indication of any kind of error situation, other than nothing happening
>>> with the printer.
>>>
>> Might possibly be a bug in CUPS.  Could you file a bugzilla report
>> please?
>>
>>   https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
>>
>> Tim.
>> */
>>
> As I have said many times don't use system-config-printer to configure a
> printer. Use the CUPS web address: localhost:631.
>
> Although in the release notes for FC6 they have finally fixed
> system-config-printer. We will have to wait and see.

I've filed the bug report, which apparently gets handled by Tim.  I
tried the Web interface as suggested by Aaron and also the tool under
KDE (Kprint?).  No joy.

I have also been unable to get my Canon i9900 USB printer working.  I
had assumed it was because there doesn't seem to be a driver for it out
of the box, but could be a bug in Cups.  I don't normally use this
printer for anything but photographic work, and have yet to implement a
solution for dealing with Nikon raw files (plug-in for Gimp, get
Photoshop and other tools working under Wine, or other solution) so I'm
in no hurry to get this working under Fedora.  The fact remains that I
have two printers and neither of them works under Fedora.
 --
David Liguori