Triple boot Fedora, XP, and Vista

Benjamin Franz snowhare at nihongo.org
Wed Nov 1 18:29:38 UTC 2006

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Thom Paine wrote:
[...]

> I'd rather not install all three OS's to one hard drive, but I guess I
> could do that to the 250G and then use the other drives as data
> storage.
>
> Anyone else have suggestions?

Remove all but one drive and install it as sda. Install XP.

Remove the first drive and install the second drive as sda. Install Vista.

Remove the second drive and install the third drive as sda. Reinstall the
first and second drives as sdb and sdc and your data drive as sdd. Install
linux adding the extra bootable partitions to the grub configuration
during install. Boot linux and edit /boot/grub/grub.conf. You will need to
remap sdb and sdc in the sections for XP and Vista so they believe they
are the first drive when they boot. It will be something similar to this:

title              Windows XP
root               (hd1,0)
savedefault
makeactive
map                (hd0) (hd1)
map                (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader        +1

(the 'hd1' 'hd0' stuff will depend on your actual configuration. Just use
whatever drives grub.conf says they are on).

If you have a 'hidden' line in your grub.conf, comment it out.

You should now be able to use grub to boot to all three OS's.

--
Benjamin Franz

"It is moronic to predict without first establishing an error rate
 for a prediction and keeping track of one’s past record of accuracy."
                    -- Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Fooled By Randomness