Triple boot Fedora, XP, and Vista

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 1 22:38:49 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 13:15 -0500, Thom Paine wrote:
> I have 4 hard drives in my system.
>
> sda is a 160G I planned to put FEdora on.
> sdb is an 80G I planned to use for XP.
> sdc is an 80G I planned to use Vista on.
> sdd is a 250G I planned to use for storage.
>
> I tried only hooking up sdb with which to install XP. It installed fine.
> I then unhooked sdb and hooked up sdc and installed Vista. It went
> without a hitch as well.
>
> I then unhooked sdc and hooked up sda and installed Fedora. Fedora
> looks awesome and installed without problems as well.
>
> I then hooked up sdb and sdc and made sure fedora was still booting. It was.
>
> I tried modifying my grub lines to include the other two OS's I wanted to boot.
>
> This failed. I found a post on fedoraforum.org dealing with hiding and
> unhiding partitions. I tried with with my hard drives to no avail.

In what way did it "fail"?  Nothing booted?  Some things couldn't be
done?

One problem with unplugging drives for an installation is that when
they're reconnected, they're at different locations (e.g. what was
initially /dev/hda becomes /dev/hdb, and so on).   This can confuse all
manner of things (bootloaders, fstab mount points, etc.), which expect
things to be the same as when the installation was performed.

You might want to say whether sda refers to SCSI or SATA.  That might
have a bearing on things.

I read messages from the public lists.