mount doesn't mount on boot-up [OT]

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 2 02:40:24 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 17:39 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> If you want a stuff-up, try booting a system with two drives that have
> a /usr partition label.  Your guess as to which /usr gets mounted.
> It's caused lots of grief at this end.  I know what's happening and
> how to fix it, I'm just getting tired of doing it all the time.

Yes, it appears not a lot of thought went into handling that.  I can
see, at least, two ways it could have been done:

Ask the user:  While booting, a warning that two like-named partitions
exist, and what to do about it.  Mount one as /usr and the other as
something else.  Or just mount one of them, picking which one.

Automatically mount the first one (the one with the lowest device
number) presuming that it'll be the boot device, and that any other
drives that have been plugged in won't be.  Which leaves you with the
other drive unmounted, or having it automounted with a slightly
different name.

I read messages from the public lists.