Is KDE on Fedora really that bad?

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Thu Nov 2 05:32:42 UTC 2006

On Thu November 2 2006 12:09 am, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> I just have to ask. I was reading through an article on slashdot.org,
> and I found a suprising number of comments which amounted to "KDE on
> RedHat is bad". As somone who has never tried anything but Fedora, but
> love KDE, I need to know...am I getting a raw deal without knowing it?

My experience was the following. I began with FC1 which lasted all of about 5
days before FC2 was released. In those days, I was quickly put off by the
philosophy of Gnome and turned to KDE, which I instantly liked. I've followed
the battles, but I never get involved in the desktop wars - I don't
personally care what someone else uses - I recognize that people are
different, and focus on different aspects of things. Early on, I heard
discussions of discontent with the KDE then offered by Fedora. It was not
released in the same timely fashion, and with the same commitment to cutting
edge that other software in the project was. Then I heard that Gnome was the
preferred desktop in the enterprise behind the Fedora project. Then, I heard
about Rex Dieter and the KDE-Redhat project. Without fanfare, and with a lot
of hard work, that project began releasing the latest KDE versions in a much
more timely fashion, and as I understand it, conformed their KDE more with
the upstream version than with the modifications done by Redhat. Cut forward
a couple of years - KDE-Redhat has come of age, and is in process of being
absorbed into Extras. If you don't want to wait, grab KDE-Redhat now.
Otherwise, as I understand it, you'll soon have it as an option within the
distro. I presume some things will change along the way, but, that's the way
I read it. Rex Dieter is part of the Fedora Project Board now, and he's
stated that he will continue to participate in some fashion with the KDE
aspects of Fedora after the coming changes. I may have some details wrong,
but, that's how I understand it. If I'm way off base, perhaps Rex, or someone
closer to the board's thinking on this will pipe up.

Bottom line - I wouldn't say you ever got a 'raw deal', but, the one that's
coming will certainly be a substantial improvement.
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA