mount doesn't mount on boot-up

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Thu Nov 2 12:39:35 UTC 2006

On Thu November 2 2006 2:09 am, David G. Miller wrote:
> Claude Jones <claude_jones at levitjames.com> wrote:
> > Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00  <---
> >   Vendor: ATA      Model: ST3160023AS      Rev: 3.05
> >   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
> > Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00  <---
> >   Vendor: ATA      Model: ST3300622AS      Rev: 3.AA
> >   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
>
> It looks like the SCSI ID being assigned to these drives is the same.
> The ordered triple (Channel, ID, LUN) should be unique for each device.
> Don't know how this can happen since it should never happen.
>
> Unfortunately, all of the relics here don't use SATA drives so I can't
> take this any further.  Also, it looks like the system sorts it all out
> by the time you get a command prompt so everything eventually works; you
> just can't do things automatically during the boot process.
>
> Past my bedtime here.  Hope this helps.

Sure it helps. I did see that issue, but didn't know enough to know whether
that was abnormal. I can see where that could cause problems in the early
boot process, if it is seeing two drives as the same drive, in effect... I'm
going to start a new SATA thread on this, and see if any responds. Could just
be I've found a SATA bug...
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA