evolution + maildir (OT)

Matt Davey mcdavey at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 2 12:48:05 UTC 2006

This is getting a bit off topic for fedora-list...

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 23:20 +0100, Michal Janda wrote:
> Matt Davey napsal(a):
> > I collect my messages from my pop server and store them locally.  So I
> > have one 'account' configured as a pop server.  I have another 'account'
> > configured as an 'mh' "server", which uses local directories to store
> > messages, one file per email.  I have incoming filter rules that take
> > the pop mail and puts the mail into appropriate mh folders.
>
> I am sorry, but I do not understand well. You download mails from that
> account to local system by fetchmail or something like that?

No, evolution collects the mail.

> Can you please give an example.
> - I have mailbox at example.org
> - I can connect to pop.example.org
> - I want to store my mail at /home/michal/Mail at maildir format
>
> What I need to configure and use that "mh backend"?

<disclaimer>
there are some pretty bad bugs in evolution support for maildir/mh at
the moment (2.8.0).  Expect some issues...
</disclaimer>

OK, I've just tried this out in evolution 2.8.0, and came across another
regression that prevented me creating a new MH account.  I've opened a
bug on bugzilla.gnome (#369381) but have a workaround in the meantime.

1. Choose a name for a directory in which to store your mail folders.
   Let's say /home/user/Mail.  Now, create a *FILE* with that name
   (this is to workaround an evolution bug that forces us to select
    a file when we should be selecting a directory).
2. In evolution, go to 'edit->preferences', and 'add' a mail account.
3. Under the "Receiving Email" screen change the "Server type" to
   "MH-format mail directories" (or maildir, I guess, if you prefer).
4. On the same panel, in the "Configuration" section, choose the file
   you created in step 1.
5. Complete the rest of the setup.
6. Now exit evolution.
7. Delete the file you created, and create a *DIRECTORY* of the same
   name.  Create at least one subdirectory, too.
8. Now restart evolution.  You should see your new account show up, and
   be able to copy messages into the folder you created.

If you're downloading all your pop mail, you may want to edit the POP

Hope this helps.

Matt

Matt Davey        What do you call books that aren't cooked?
mcdavey at mrao.cam.ac.uk 	Rare.