mail server send mail to yahoo bulk folder

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Fri Nov 3 13:43:51 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> Another mitigating factor is the domain name that you post from.
> Certain top-level-domains get red flagged as being more likely to be
> spam, simply by the name, regardless of content.  e.g. Spamassassin,
> IGNORANTLY, does that with .biz and .info TLDs.  I say that with such
> venom because in the years that I've been on the internet, and in the
> thousands of spam that I've received, I've noticed about seven spams
> that came with .biz TLDs in them.

Hmm.

Having a maildir folder with over 11000 spams in it, I can test this
fairly easily.
$ ls | xargs egrep -l 'http://[A-Z@a-z0-9.-]*\.biz[^A-Z at a-z0-9.-]' | wc -l
252
$ ls | xargs egrep -l 'http://[A-Z@a-z0-9.-]*\.info[^A-Z at a-z0-9.-]' | wc -l
761
In other words, a bit over 2% of my spam includes a (relatively
well-formed) .biz URL, and well over 6% of it includes an .info URL.

That, of course, is on the set of spam the spammers were kind enough to
send me.

I understand that the reason SpamAssassin *does* flag up those e-mails
with a .biz or .info TLD is simply that across their set of spam and
non-spam, it does turn into a useful indicator.

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | "As for Nitel, the state telephone monopoly, the less
aprilcottage.co.uk | said the better, which might well be the company's