Analog Telephone Adapter usage

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 16:20:25 UTC 2006

On 11/3/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 03:29 +0000, Thufir wrote:
>
> > I would, or might, need admin access to the router/firewall?
>
> If you want to run any server that accepts connections through your
> firewall, you need to open ports through it, and possibly forward ports
> through.  It depends on the system, some modem/routers don't act as a
> firewall, some aren't enabled, some will try to automatically route
> connections through (I've seen one that uses NAT, and does that for
> you).

That is the whole reason for STUN AFAIK. It uses a STUN server on the
outside of the firewall to negotiate a path back to two peers that are
behind a NAT firewall using the inherent NAT inner workings so that
the peers can talk to each other directly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STUN
All SIP providers and clients that I have experience with use this
method for accepting calls through a NAT withtou having to administer
the NAT firewall. GTalk (jingle/jabber based) also uses this method.

/Mike