hibernation is working! but not quite all it could be

Phil Nelson philtr1 at sonic.net
Fri Nov 3 21:20:50 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> Phil Nelson wrote:
>
>>> Grub doesn't pause to allow me to choose the other boot option. Is there
>>> a config option to make it do that?
>>>

> In the /boot/grub/grub.conf file there's a couple of parameters you
> might want to play with:
>
> timeout=5
> hiddenmenu
>
> You can increase the timeout (in seconds), so the menu stays up a bit
> longer.  And you can comment out the hiddenmenu option, so the full menu
> appears straight away
The default (5 seconds) that it waits when starting after a normal
shutdown is plenty of time. But after hibernating, it doesn't wait 5
seconds. I suppose if I change 5 seconds to 15 seconds, it might wait
longer, but it doesn't seem likely. I tried turning off "hiddenmenu",
which allowed me to see a brief flash of the Grub menu just now.