Invalid Module Format?

Tom Horsley tomhorsley at adelphia.net
Sat Nov 4 23:51:44 UTC 2006

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 12:50:18 +0000
Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com> wrote:

> Tom Horsley wrote:
>
> > insmod: error inserting '/usr/share/truecrypt/kernel/truecrypt-2.6.18.ko': -1 Invalid module format
> > FATAL: Error inserting truecrypt (/lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2200.fc5smp/extra/truecrypt.ko): Invalid module format
>
> Have a look at the end of
>
> dmesg
>
> and see if there is any additional diagnostic information.
>
> -Andy

Not in dmesg (I'm not loading it at boot time), but in messages, I found
this:

Nov  4 07:18:00 zooty kernel: truecrypt: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module

So I've got a pointer to something to look at, but still don't know why
this would only happen on i686 (I made sure I blew away everything from
the x86_64 build in any common directories and started from scratch
for i686).

I've also got FC6 installed on this machine, and haven't yet tried
the i686 FC6 truecrypt build. It will be interesting to see what
happens there.