Number of files during copy

antonio montagnani antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 18:08:14 UTC 2006

2006/11/6, James Wilkinson <fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk>:
> antonio montagnani wrote:
> > If I copy from my internal HD to my external USB HD a large number of
> > files (i.e. my photo archive, let me say 2000 files) not all files are
> > transferred.
> > Of course the backup is not reliable.....and I have to transfer by
> > sets of 40 files .
>
> How do you copy the files -- with a command line, or through a graphical
> user interface (which?)
>
> Immediately after you've copied the files, are they visible on the USB
> drive?
>
> Do you power off the computer then remove the hard drive, do you
> carefully unmount the hard drive and wait for all activity lights on the
> drive to stop, or do you just yank the drive's cable?
>
> As if you just yank the drive, yes, that's thoroughly expected behaviour
> in any operating system.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> James.
>
> --
> E-mail:     james@ | Which do you consider was the stronger swimmer,
> aprilcottage.co.uk |     (a) The Spanish Armadillo,
>                    |     (b) The Great Seal?
>                    |     -- '1066 and All That'
>
> --

1) I copied files by graphical nautilus either by drag and drop or by
menus copy/paste
2) I waited as long as required, as actually computer was always on
yesterday, today is cooling down :-)  No cable was disconnected
unpolitely, actually no cable was disconnected at all.

Tnx for attention

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag