Who sorts the printer model names?

Tom Horsley tomhorsley at adelphia.net
Tue Nov 7 18:01:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 17:45:51 +0000
Tim Waugh <twaugh at redhat.com> wrote:

> Well, '6L' seems like a smaller model number than '1015' to me, so I
> would expect '6L' to come before '1015' just like I'd expect '250' to
> come before it as well.  The models are sorted with numeric portions
> compared as numbers.

"6L" doesn't seem like a number at all to me - last time I looked 'L'
wasn't a digit "LaserJet" isn't a number either, "LaserJet Plus" doesn't
have any numbers in it at all. Treating the names that happen to have
digits as part of their string content differently than the ones that
have no digits makes no sense at all. (The first thing I do when
I install Windows is go into explorer and turn off the "intuitive"
sorting since it isn't remotely intuitive and results in hours of
extra time trying to find files :-).

I know! Let's add "abcdef" to the characters we treat as digits and
intuitively sort the names by the numeric values of the hex constants
they happen to include as part of the string :-).