Logitech Harmony remote control programmable without Windows?

Tom Horsley tomhorsley at adelphia.net
Tue Nov 7 19:03:51 UTC 2006

> Probably a big mistake, I acquired a Harmony 895 remote control. However
> it seems that the beast is completely useless without first programming
> it, which can apparently only be using the supplied software for Windows
> or Mac OS X. Since I haven't got anything other than Linux at home, does
> somebody know of a possibility to make this device usable?

I tried various things with mine. You can actually do all the configuration
via any old web browser on just about anything, but to actually get the
info downloaded to the harmony, you gotta have windows to run their usb
interface software. I didn't try wine, I suppose it is possible that it
might work, but it seemed highly unlikely to me (nothing remotely complex
I ever tried under wine has worked correctly).

See this remotecentral forum page for the details on nifty stuff you
can do with firefox:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-harmony/thread.cgi?keywords=4182

I just boot windows when I need to update my harmony (which doesn't happen
much once you get past the incredibly painful setup process).