disable modules in xorg.conf?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Nov 8 02:28:36 UTC 2006

Tom Horsley wrote:
> I've been trying to fight with bugz 213170 and it occurs to
> me that one big difference between FC5 and FC6 in the
> opensource radeon driver is that FC6 supports DRI and GLX
> and all that fancy stuff.
>
> I've read the xorg.conf(5) man page, but can't interpret
> anything in there as a way to disable loading of modules.
> Can anyone show an example of how to do that? I'd like
> to disable all the 3D stuff and see if the flickering
> goes away.
>
> (I suppose a more drastic approach would be to rename the
> actual module files so it can't find them to load the
> extension).

I would say comment out drm. Of coarse with the minimal file, how would
you do that. You might try to drop to runlevel 3 and try your luck with
"X -configure' to see if it generates a working X file that is
substantial enough to prevent the guessing game. The file is generated
in /root/ directory with what command to use to try out the
configuration file. You then can copy the file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf if
it works for you. If it does, there should be a modules section.

There was this excerpt from your log on the one bug report. Also I
recall some information about a specific entry in some out of the
ordinary file from Adam I believe referring to a new file which might
need configuration. I could not find it due to site maintenance.
  There is an
/usr/lib/dri/r300_dri.so module. I believe you specify this driver in
the file with reference somewhere in the archive.

(WW) RADEON(0): Enabling DRM support

*** Direct rendering support is highly experimental for Radeon 9500
*** and newer cards. The 3d mesa driver is not provided in this tree.
*** A very experimental (and incomplete) version is available from Mesa CVS.
*** Additional information can be found on http://r300.sourceforge.net
*** This message has been last modified on 2005-08-07.

I hope this response at least gives you some ideas to try.

Jim

--
He didn't run for reelection.  "Politics brings you into contact with
all the people you'd give anything to avoid," he said. "I'm staying home."