FC6 SD card reader??

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Nov 8 03:57:02 UTC 2006

Yuandan Zhang wrote:

> lspci does not show this device, from MS Windows side, it shows:
>
> Texas Instruments PCIxx20 Integrated FlashMedia Controllor
> Type: PCMCIA and Flash Memery devices
> Manufacturer: Texas Instrument Inc
> Location PCI Bus 1, device 6, fnuction 3

Under Linux it probably shows up something like this:

04:06.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments Unknown device 8039
	Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Unknown device ff10
	Memory at dc007000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
	Bus: primary=04, secondary=05, subordinate=08, sec-latency=176
	Memory window 0: 50000000-51fff000 (prefetchable)
	Memory window 1: 52000000-53fff000
	I/O window 0: 00004400-000044ff
	I/O window 1: 00004800-000048ff
	16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001

04:06.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments Unknown device 803a
(prog-if 10 [OHCI])
	Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Unknown device ff10
	Memory at dc006000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
	Memory at dc000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]

04:06.2 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments Unknown device 803b
	Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Unknown device ff10
	Memory at dc004000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

04:06.3 Class 0805: Texas Instruments Unknown device 803c (prog-if 01)
	Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Unknown device ff10
	Memory at dc006800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]

The chip has 4 functions in one PCI slot as far as the system is
concerned. To make it work, I had to run a script. I added it to
/etc/rc.d/rc.local.

#!/bin/bash
#
# Script to enable SD interface of the TI PCXxx12 interface.
#

# Remove SDHCI and MMC modules, if they are installed.
        modprobe -r sdhci
        modprobe -r mmc_block
# Change what interface is enabled.
        setpci -s 04:06.2 4c.b=02
# Load the SD and MMC modules again.
        modprobe sdhci || exit 1
        modprobe mmc_block || exit 1
	exit 0

What it does is turn off the MMC controller and turn on the SD
controller on the chip. I guess they can not both be on at the same
time. I am not sure what happens if you insert a MMC or a Memory
Stick after doing this, as I only have SD cards. (Well, I have
Compact Flash and Smart Media cards, but they do not fit...)

If your laptop has the chip mapped to a different PCI bus them mine
does, you will have to adjust the setpci command to match. It is bus
4, slot 6 on my Toshiba. (04:06.x)

Mikkel