Screen Freeze

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Nov 8 13:05:51 UTC 2006

Per-Anton Rønning wrote:
> Hi again Andy,
> Yes, killall -9 Xorg worked fine, I got back the KDE login screen, no
> need to reboot. That is a definite improvement, so thanks! Then I won't
> need to spend time waiting for the complete bootup procedure.
>
> I have also looked at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and dmesg. Since I have no
> formal training as to what to look for here, I cannot identify any
> funnies either.  Where can I find litterature to study what is really
> going on behind the curtain? My knowledge of Linux is not that detailed,
> I know (some of) what I need to know, but I also realize that I have to
> know more. Could you point me in any direction as to what to look for in
> the Xorg log, and the dmesg log? What would funnies look like?
> I dmesg the last (several) messages are "audit" something, what it means
> I do not know.
> The very last entry reads:
>
> audit(1162987192.127:65): avc:  granted  { execmem } for  pid=2958
> comm="thunderbird-bin" scontext=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0
> tcontext=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0 tclass=process
> But if this is an ordinary entry or if it reports some  trouble I cannot
> say.

This was a common log entry in early FC5 systems. It's harmless but can
tend to fill the log files. However, it indicates that you have not
installed updates (specifically for selinux, probably not for anything
else either) as the logging of these events was turned off in one of the
updates.

It's conceivable that installing updated X packages might fix the
problem you've been writing about.

Paul,