FC4 to FC5 upgrade via YUM Question

Jim Duda jim at duda.tzo.com
Wed Nov 8 13:58:52 UTC 2006

I've been trying to execute an FC4 to FC5 upgrade via yum.  The file system I'm trying to upgrade
is used in a LTSP diskless boot system.  It's very difficult to execute a fresh install from CDROM.

The first thing I did was:

rpm -Uvh fedora-release-5-5.noarch.rpm

Next, I upgraded my yum.repos.d directory, and disabled all the odd ones, including atrpms.

Next, I did yum update, which obviously didn't go clean since I'm here :-)

I started with dozens of dependency issues.  I was able to pick away at the issues by removing
packages, upgrading small portions, etc.  I was down to 1 final dependency issue.

--> Processing Dependency: libneon.so.24 for package: librpm4.4

This was a difficult one as librpm4.4 was required by yum itself.  If I remove librpm4.4 to
resolve this dependency issue, then yum itself will get removed, then I'm hosed.

I googled around and found this recommendation.

# yum shell
> remove librpm4.4
> update
> run

I tried this.  All the dependencies were resolved and I was able to say "Y" to download 775 packages.
The downloads occurred and the update ran.  So far, so good.

The file system/machine in question is on a headless computer.  It's a media computer attached
to my TV (the TV display is useless as a text monitor).  I always attach to the unit via telnet.

I rebooted the system, and it came up.

However, when I attempt to telnet to the machine, I get an unexpected prompt:

Fedora Core release 6 (Rawhide)
Kernel 2.6.17.13-tftp on an i686
login:

I know that telnet is running, since I get the login prompt.  After I login, I immediately
get kicked out with the "remote host has closed the connection".

Can anyone explain why it appears I upgraded from FC4 to FC6?  Did that really happen?

Can anyone explain why telnet might have broken?  I verified that I have telnet available
in /etc/xinet.d.  The fact that I get the login prompt proves telnet itself is okay, something
happened after login.

Thanks,

Jim