diskless client with ramdisk rootfs: rc.sysinit problem

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 8 15:07:58 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have a diskless client with a Fedora Core 5 server.
Everything kind of works on the server: PXE-boot,
DHCPD, TFTP, etc.

When I use NFS-root as the rootfs for the diskless
client, then everything works fine. No problems.

But I want to use a ramdisk image gzipped file as the
rootfs for the client. This seems to work, but
something strange happens when /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
is processed.

This script hangs in a sort of 'wait' status until
I type the 'i' key on my keyboard. It then asks for
each service whether to start or not with a [Y/N]
question.

Why does the rc.sysinit script suddenly become so
interactive? Is this a result of the ramdisk rootfs?
How come?

Thanks,
Rob.

PS: yet another thing: the rc.sysinit script calls
/usr/bin/rhgb-client, but at that stage of the
boot process /usr is not yet mounted on a diskless
machine !?!?!

Sponsored Link

Degrees online in as fast as 1 Yr - MBA, Bachelor's, Master's, Associate
Click now to apply http://yahoo.degrees.info