problem importing GPG key

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Wed Nov 8 16:07:08 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 19:50 -0800, David Boles wrote:

> Tim wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 08:19 -0800, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> >> I'm running FC5 and trying to import the GPG key for the freshrpms
> >> repository. But the command
> >>
> >> rpm --import http://freshrpms.net/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.txt
> >>
> >> keeps giving me this error message:
> >>
> >> error: http://freshrpms.net/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.txt: import read
> >> failed(-1). Segmentation fault
> >
> > If I try to look at that keyfile, I get a 403 error.
> >
> >    e.g. Try lynx http://freshrpms.net/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.txt
> >
> > So, either there's a problem at the website, or you've got the address
> > down wrong.
>

> If you actually read the website instructions, and follow them, you will
> have solved your problem.

I've been following the instructions here:
http://www.stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html
but it seems the command for importing the GPG key for the freshrpms
repository has stopped working:

root at PuteA Wed Nov 08 07:56:02
[77] ~ $ rpm --import http://freshrpms.net/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.txt
error: http://freshrpms.net/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.txt: import read
failed(-1).
Segmentation fault

By "the webpage instructions" I assume you mean
http://freshrpms.net/packages/
under "Getting started" where it says:

Since Red Hat Linux 8.0, rpm handles package signature checking
internally. This is why you should feed rpm the public keys used to sign
the packages you want to install. This can be easily done by downloading
the RPM-GPG-KEY-freshrpms file above then running :

rpm --import RPM-GPG-KEY-freshrpms

But when I execute this I get:

root at PuteA Wed Nov 08 07:55:57
[76] ~ $ rpm --import RPM-GPG-KEY-freshrpms
error: RPM-GPG-KEY-freshrpms: import read failed(-1).

So maybe someone can tell me what are these "website instructions" I
need to "actually read"?
Thanks for the help!
Jerry