Fedora 5 or 6 on Tyan K8QW (S4881) + M4881, 8 processors, 128 GB

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Wed Nov 8 18:09:24 UTC 2006

Huijgen, V.B. wrote:

> Does anyone have experience running Fedora 5 or 6 on a Tyan K8QW
> (S4881) with CPU Board M4881, 8 processors and 128 GB ?
>
> Using google, I found that Fedora will probably work with 64 GB but I
> found no confirmation about 128 GB and 8 processors.
>
> As far as I understand from the config file under /boot, there are no
> limitations configured in the kernel for the number of processors and
> for the memory.
>
> Do I need special boot parameters ?
>

> Vincent

Not specifically, but generally you are correct.

Specifically you will need to run FC5 or FC5 x86_64 to use more than 4GB
of RAM properly.  The upper limit for RAM with x86_64 is not available
to mortals. :)

The 32 bit versions will see the memory, but applications will be
limited to how much memory they can address so it probably would defeat
the purpose of having that much RAM.

As far as number of CPUs, again you are generally correct that it should
work.  However, I have not tested that specific Mother Board, sorry I
cannot confirm that.

I have worked with a 4 CPU dual core AMD processor based system such
that they appeared as 8 CPUs with no problems.

I also see 8 CPUs on an intel 2 Xeon Dual Core system with HT enabled.

Realistically speaking, you cannot purchase a midrange AMD based server
that FC5 or FC6 could/should not handle.  The big CAVEAT is that all
possible hardware combinations, other than CPU and Memory, is not
practical to cover.  The Fedora kernels are often criticized for being
large for this very reason.  Fedora does try to cover most common hardware.

You are wise to ask about specifics such as a given Mother Board.

Good luck!