Fixing selinux denials

Gordon Charrick gordonmc at cox.net
Wed Nov 8 21:24:04 UTC 2006

I have selinux set to mode permissive and I'm using FC6.

I have another machine that ftp's a bunch of files periodically to
create a web site. I put the files in a directory under /var/www/html.
Every time the ftp runs, I get a series of these messages:

Nov  8 09:15:24 gmc kernel: audit(1163006124.532:1745): avc:  denied  {
append } for  pid=32479 comm="vsftpd" name="nlasvegas.html" dev=dm-4
ino=96584 scontext=system_u:system_r:ftpd_t:s0
context=user_u:object_r:httpd_sys_content_t:s0 tclass=file

I don't have any experience playing around with selinux yet so I don't
know the proper way to fix this. At this point I can understand that
vsftpd runs with a ftpd_t context and the directory I'm putting the
files into has a httpd_sys_content_t context. How do I put it together
to get no more messages?