disable modules in xorg.conf?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Nov 9 02:13:45 UTC 2006

Tom Horsley wrote:
>>> "X -configure' to see if it generates a working X file that is
>>> substantial enough to prevent the guessing game.
>> Yea, I suppose it might be possible that if there is a Modules
>> section, the server won't provide modules on its own. I'll try
>> that next time I have FC6 booted again.
>
> Yep, it worked. I turned all the "LoadModule:" lines in the xorg
> log file into a "Modules" section in the xorg.conf file, then commented
> out the ones I didn't want, and the new log file showed that it really
> didn't load them.
>
> So I now have dri and glx turned off and I can try running for a while
> to see if the screen flickering will also stop.
>
> No doubt the problem someone was having in another thread with vnc
> is related. I think he said he added a Modules section to get the vnc
> module to load, and all sorts of things stopped working. Probably it
> was only loading vnc and nothing else. I love helpful software :-).

I'm glad that the config file at least allows you to control the loading
of modules. I wondered why the vnc module was loaded when I ran X
-configure to make an xorg.conf file. I guess this method of
configuration that X -configure does might help out the people who use
vnc also.

Regarding the "helpful software", I get the visual of a run of the mill
husband trying to work on the plumbing or the electrical circuits. A
disaster is in the wake. :-)

Jim

--
Politicians are the same all over.  They promise to build a bridge even
where there is no river.