Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

John Wendel john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil
Thu Nov 9 19:18:40 UTC 2006

Mike McCarthy, W1NR wrote:
> If you really want stable Linux, you probably should NOT be using FC6
> and certainly not a testing tree!
>
> You probably should consider ubuntu or RHEL which are much more stable
> in general.  You do trade off having the "latest and greatest" packages
> for the stability of time tested but slightly older versions.
>
> Mike

Laughing my ass off here. Ubuntu more stable, ha!

While waiting for FC6, I installed all flavors of "?buntu" 6.06 on my
test box. I thought the hardware was broken after the install. Random
crashes, network hangs after large file transfers, very flaky.

Then I tried to upgrade to 6.1 using the "documented" upgrade
procedure; it destroyed the installation and left me with an
unbootable box. A few days later they published a "warning, don't
upgrade" notice.

And don't even ask me about the package manager problems. Synaptic is
very pretty, but it has as many problems as yum.

Now with FC6 installed the box is rock solid with everything I run.

Regards,

John