[Fedora] Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Thu Nov 9 21:04:17 UTC 2006

Kim Lux wrote:
> Here is my post on the subject:
>
> "When I install a new kernel, my
> mouse doesn't quit working !"
>
> I didn't say the kernel provides mouse support in X !
    By making the statement you made above, you are suggesting that.
Now, if you said, 'when I install a new gmp rpm, my mouse doesn't quit
working', that would make a much better argument.  The kernel has
nothing to do with the mouse, don't compare apples and oranges.  You
will lose that battle.

    The issue here is that nvidia relies (heavily) on the kernel and
thus ties into several aspects of it.  Under STABLE circumstances, this
works fine (as many have already told you.)  But once again, you fail to
comprehend that.  You want to run test kernels, that's fine.  But don't
expect everything to work, otherwise it wouldn't be a test kernel.  The
NTFS module also ties in to the kernel, and when there are kernel
updates, I have to wait a day or two to actually install the kernel
because the NTFS module hasn't been applied to the new one yet.  But
that's just it, I WAIT FOR IT because I know it makes absolutely no
sense in running the new kernel while not having the updated drivers,
and then come bitch and moan that things don't work.  Get that into your
mind please: everything will, at some point or another, lack behind a
kernel update.  It's YOUR responsibility to make sure you have the
correct drivers, modules, and/or patches BEFORE you update your kernel.
Whether the nvidia folks decide to take 24 hours or 24 days to release
an update, that's THEIR call, and they will have a reason to do that.
How many times haven't you heard Microsoft delaying a critical update,
while other third party companies have already released theirs?  They
have a reason to, whether it's for more testing or because the guy
responsible is taking a long piss.  GET OVER IT and deal with the fact
that YOU, and only YOU made the choice to run test kernels on your
hardware.  No one told you that you must.

    Sure, you can replace the engine in your car for a jet engine.  But
that doesn't mean the body of the car can support the engine.  For all
we know, the engine will rip itself out of it's bolts and jump out
infront of the car, while the body and wheels are still trying to catch
up.  Yes, the engine is just fine (as is the kernel).

    Once again, if you want to run test kernels, DO NOT EXPECT
EVERYTHING TO WORK WITH THEM.  It's the whole nature of being a test
kernel (or any other package for that matter.)  It's for people to find
the problems and report them, and not for you to come bitching and
moaning because you lost some precious 60 minutes of your life.  You
know what, I couldn't care less how much time you lost.  You need to
grow out of that mentality that you seem to be living by and quit
bitching and moaning.

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.
  Photo Craft Imaging                       .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6