Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Nov 9 23:29:44 UTC 2006

Kim Lux writes:

> the package name is "kmod-nvidia".  BTW: I consider it a complete
> failure that I have to boot Windows to get my Linux box running !

I agree.  And the fault for that is nobody else's, except yours'.

Nobody forced you to install non-free binary blob crap from Nvidia.  As the
saying goes: you break it, you get to pick up the pieces.

The Fedora community has no obligation to expend any effort to accomodate
proprietary non-free software.  It's not their job to integrate non-free
software into Fedora.  Nobody at the Fedora project have their salary paid
by Nvidia, and nobody owes them anything.

> Its funny, we have people in the Linux community debating about whether
> Linux is ready for the desktop for the average user.  With this sort of
> issue still alive and well in Linux, the answer to that question is
> absolutely NO !

I disagree.  My Linux desktop works just fine.  My wife has no issues
whatsoever using my laptop when I'm at work, reading news in her native
language, swapping E-mail with her family halfways accross the world,
browsing local real-estate listings (just a hobby), and charging all kinds
of crap on my credit card.

> In summary, I am totally frustrated with Nvidia with this driver
> situation.

I'm sorry to hear that.  Go bitch to Nvidia.

>            I will never, ever buy a piece of Nvidia hardware again
> unless this situation is rectified.

I think that's a very wise decision.

>                                      I'd replace the Nvidia video driver
> I have but its built into the laptop that I otherwise love.

Next time you are in the market for a laptop, I'm sure you'll do your
homework first, and avoid making the same mistake.

Good luck.