Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

Alex White ethericalzen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 07:42:37 UTC 2006

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Jeff Vian wrote:

>>> How many times to I have to say the fact that the kernel was testing
>>> DOESN'T MATTER !  There was NO PROBLEM with the new kernel !  The
>>> problem was that I had to BUILD a driver for the nvidia hardware !
>>>

>> THAT WAS THE PROBLEM!!!   The nvidia driver had to be built for the
>> testing kernel and you are still whining about that.
>
> No, that is not the problem. A problem, which is not being addressed
> by the responses, is not having a published standard interface for
> Linux drivers to which they can be written. Lacking such a published
> standard interface for Linux drivers, subtle (or not so subtle)
> kernel changes force drivers to be re-written over and over. And that's
> a problem. Even for so-called OSS drivers. Tracking a moving interface
> is not a good policy for code reuse.
>
>> You are using testing packages, many of which are never released at the
>> version in testing, and you still whine about manually having to build
>> your own video driver.  GROW UP.
>
> If Linux would GROW UP, as you put it, then this wouldn't happen
> with each new kernel release.
>
> Instead of reacting to the tone of the complaint, try doing a little
> introspection and see whether there isn't a kernel of truth hiding
> in there, and a way in which Linux could grow up a little. Having
> a published supported driver interface would ease support not only
> for NVIDIA drivers, but for all drivers. And that's something worth
> considering.
>
> (No pun intended above.)
>
> Mike
Then this is still the wrong place for Kim or yourself to be discussing
the issue. This is a users list. Fedora is a distribution unrelated to
the kernel development and progression that takes place with the kernel
developers. The distributions all patch the vanilla kernel. So what
needs to happen with this particular issue is for Kim and others to
discuss this the lkml. Period.

The users here are not going to fix this. Kernel Developers would fix
this, if they even consider it broken. It's not a matter of growing up,
although Kim has been told on multiple occasions this is not the forum
for his ranting, perhaps he needs or does not need to take said advice;
however, I don't know him and don't really care what his mental state
happens to reflect. He has gleefully ignored at least to my eyes the
various and multiple comments to address this issue elsewhere. A user
list is not the proper forum for making suggestions about kernel
development issues with regards to driver interfaces. Distributions are
not part of that process, unless they write an interface and submit it
to the kernel developers.

Sincerely,

Alex