****How many on list?

Myles Green rmg57 at telus.net
Fri Nov 10 05:13:16 UTC 2006

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 20:02:28 -0800
"jdow" <jdow at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I've absorbed over the years since I first installed RedHat 5.0 and
> got it working smoothly. (That was in the era in which it was possible
> to have 400+ days of straight uptime with something out of RedHat. By
> the time of the 2.0.36 kernel the frequency of kernel patches dropped
> close to zero. It worked. There was no need to change it. So uptime
> could be years, potentially. <sigh> I fondly remember those days.)

I'm with you on the fond memories, my very first Linux installation was
actually Slackware (version 3.<something> IIRC) but it was replaced by
RH-5.2 which had just been released. I learned a lot more using RH at that
time because info for it was easier for me to come by, being a total newbie
to not only Linux but computers as a whole. Yes, fond memories indeed.

In fact just the other day I was going through some boxes I have in storage
and I ran across the RH 5.2 retail box (as well as Caldera 2.2, 2.3 and
2.4). I paused for a bit and thought about installing it 'just for old
time's sake', it was right about then that "life" interrupted my thoughts
and I packed it all away again. Hmmm... I've still got my old P150 and it
still works... now where did I put that compressed air...

--
Myles Green
Geek by nature. Linux by choice.