USB FLASH Drive LED doesn't change

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 10 19:34:31 UTC 2006

Mike Wright wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:

[that he was clueless about what the LED was]

> Hi Mike,
>
> I've an Emprex and its led comes on when it is inserted.  It flashes off
> and on when writing.  There doesn't appear to be any indication of when
> it is OK to remove it so I always do a sync sync before pulling it out.

Well, I always umount before removing any such device, which should
flush all dirty buffers. But simply flashing when the device is being
written does not sound adequate for any system which does disc write
caching with write-back policy rather than write-through, and I know
for a fact that MS Windows after 3.x do that. So I wonder just what
use the LED is unless the software which mounts it has some control
over it. True, withdrawing it during a write almost surely will corrupt
it. But so can withdrawing it while there are dirty cache buffers.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.