Problem with the serial port in Fedora Core 6

Ashwin Ganti ganti_ashwin at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 10 23:35:42 UTC 2006

Hi,

We are having trouble with detecting the serial port
in Fedora Core 6.

When I type the following command:
setserial -g /dev/ttyS*

I get the following message:

Cannot get serial info: Invalid argument
/dev/ttyS1: No such device or address
/dev/ttyS2: No such device or address
/dev/ttyS3: No such device or address

However I tried this on two other machines running
Fedora core 4 and Fedora core 5 and both were able to
detect the serial port
A typical result is
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
/dev/ttyS1, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
/dev/ttyS2, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
/dev/ttyS3, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3

We are not sure if this is a problem with Fedora Core
6.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue on Fedora 6?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.