RES: MIDI

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Nov 12 13:28:13 UTC 2006

On Sunday 12 November 2006 11:19, magicus wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> >> Once done that, any KDE application will play MIDI files. Don't
> >> know if XMMS will do it, but kmid will for sure.
> >
> > I've done everything I can remember doing in the past, but still I'm not
> > hearing any sound from the .mid files.
>
> I am not in KDE at the moment and bringing up a MIDI file in Kmid (after
> able to play it after going into the Settings/Midi Setup and choosing:
>
> Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 0 - ALSA device
>
> as the playback device.

By accident, I seem to have come across a clue to what's happening.  By trial
and error I found that I could play one track, but no others.  I thought of
putting the one that plays and one other onto a url so that you could see if
they played on yours.  To my surprise, when I checked the urls in a browser I
found that both played, so that sent me back to kmidi.

It seems that it depends on a suitable soundfont being loaded.  The one I
loaded first only played piano tracks.  I loaded a synth font, but the
orchestral music sounded ghastly on that.  Now I'll have to try to find a
good general-purpose soundfont.

Thanks to all for the help in tracking this down.

Anne